UPSC Special Class Railway Apprentices (SCRA) Examination 2014
SCRA 2014 Exam Date: 12th January, 2014 (Sunday)
Special Class Railway Apprentices (SCRA) Exam 2014
SCRA 2014 Important Dates:
a. Date of Notification: 05.10.2013
b. Last Date for Receipt of Applications: 04.11.2013
c. Date of Examination: 12.01.2014
d. Duration of Exam: 1 Day
The Union Public Service Commission conducts the Special Class Railway Apprentices’ examination (SCRA) to select candidates for the Mechanical Department of the Indian Railways. This is a class-I service and these officials constitute the top rung cadre of the mechanical wing of the Indian Railways.
An examination for selection of candidates for appointment as Special Class Apprentices in Mechanical Department of Indian Railways will be held by the Union Public Service Commission on 20th January, 2013 in accordance with the Rules published by the Ministry of Railways (Railway Board) in the Gazette of India dated the 13th October, 2012.
SCRA Exam Centres: Agartala, Gangtok, Panaji (goa), Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Patna, Aizwal, Imphal, Port blair, Allahabad, Itanagar, Raipur, Bangalore, Jaipur, Ranchi, Bareilly, Jammu, Sambalpur, Bhopal, Jorhat, Shillong, Chandigarh, Kochi, Shimla, Chennai, Kohima , Srinagar, Cuttack, Kolkata, Thiruvanathapuram, Dehradun, Lucknow, Tirupati, Delhi, Madurai, Udaipur, Dharwar, Mumbai, Vishakhapatnam, Dispur and Nagpur.
1. CANDIDATES TO ENSURE THEIR ELIGIBILITY FOR THE EXAMINATION: The Candidates applying for the examination should ensure that they fulfill all eligibility conditions for admission to the examination. Their admission at all the stages of the examination will be purely provisional subject to satisfying the prescribed eligibility conditions.
Mere issue of admission certificate to the candidate will not imply that his/her candidature has been finally cleared by the Commission.
Verification of eligibility conditions with reference to original documents is taken up only after the candidate has qualified for Interview/Personality Test.
2. HOW TO APPLY: Candidates are required to apply online by using the website www.upsconline.nic.in Brief Instructions for filling up the Online Application Form have been given in the Appendix II. Detailed instructions are available on the above mentioned website.
3. LAST DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS: The Online Application can be filled upto 04th November, 2013 till 11.59 PM after which the link will be disabled.
4. The eligible candidates shall be issued an e-Admission Certificate three weeks before the commencement of the examination. The e-Admission Certificate will be made available on the UPSC website [www.upsc.gov.in] for being downloaded by candidates. No Admission Certificate will be sent by post. All the applicants are required to provide valid & active e-mail i.d., while filling up Online application form as the Commission may use electronic mode for contacting them.
5. PENALTY FOR WRONG ANSWERS : Candidates should note that there will be penalty (Negative Marking) for wrong answers marked by a candidate in the Objective Type Question Papers.
6. For both writing and marking answers in the OMR sheet [Answer Sheet], candidates must use black ball pen only. Pens with any other colours are prohibited. Do not use Pencil or Ink pen. Candidates should note that any omission/mistake/discrepancy in encoding/filling of details in the OMR answer sheet, especially with regard to Roll Number and Test Booklet Series Code, will render the answer sheet liable for rejection. Candidates are further advised to read carefully the “Special Instructions” contained in Appendix-III of the Notice.
Age: The candidates aspiring for the SCRA examination must have attained 17 years of age and must not have completed 21 years on 1st August of the year of examination. Certain categories of persons as specified in the Notice are eligible for age relaxation.
Minimum Educational Qualification: For admission to the examination a candidate;
(a) Must have passed in the first or second division, the Intermediate or an equivalent Examination of a University or Board approved by the Government of India with Mathematics and at least one of the subjects Physics and Chemistry as subjects of the examination.
Graduates with Mathematics and at least one of the subjects Physics and Chemistry as their degree subjects may also apply, or
(b) must have passed in the first or second division, the Higher Secondary (12 years) Examination under 10 plus 2 pattern of School Education with Mathematics and at least one of the subjects Physics and Chemistry as subjects of the examination, or
(c) must have passed the first year Examination under the three year degree course of a university or the first examination of the three year diploma course in Rural Service of the National Council for Rural Higher Education or the third year Examination for promotion to the 4th year of the four year B.A./B.Sc. (Evening College) Course of the Madras University with Mathematics and at least one of the subjects Physics and Chemistry as subjects of the examination provided that before joining the degree/diploma course he passed the Higher Secondary examination or the Pre-University or equivalent examination in the first or second division.
Candidates who have passed the first/second year examination under the three-years degree course in the first or second division with Mathematics and either Physics or Chemistry as subjects of the Examination may also apply; provided the first/second year examination is conducted by a University; or
(d) Must have passed in the first or second division the Pre-Engineering Examination of a University, approved by the Government of India; or
(e) must have passed in the first or second division the Pre-Professional/Pre-Technological Examination of any Indian University or a recognised Board, with Mathematics and at least, one of the subjects Physics and Chemistry as subjects of the examination conducted one year after the Higher Secondary or Pre-University stage; or
(f) must have passed the first year examination under the five year Engineering Degree Course of a University : Provided that before joining the Degree Course, he passed the Higher Secondary Examination or pre-University or equivalent examination in the first or second division.
Candidates who have passed the first year Examination of the five-year Engineering Degree Course in the first or second division may also apply provided the first year Examination is conducted by a University; or
(g) Must have passed in the first or second division the Pre-Degree Examination of the Universities of Kerala and Calicut with Mathematics and at least one of the subjects Physics and Chemistry as subjects of the examination.
Nationality: A candidate must be either;
(a) A citizen of India, or
(b) a subject of Nepal, or
(c) a subject of Bhutan, or
(d) a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India. or
(e) a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the examination but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued to him by the Government of India.
Physical Fitness: Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Special Class Railway Apprentices’ Examination as per Regulations published in Gazette of India in the year of the examination.
Exam Pattern: The examination is conducted according to the following plan;
Part I Written examination carrying a maximum of 600 marks in the subjects as shown below.
Part II Personality Test carrying a maximum of 200 marks in respect of only those candidates who are declared qualified on the results of written examination.
The subjects of the written examination under Part I, the time allowed and the maximum marks allotted to each subject/paper shall be as follows;
|Paper||Subjects||Time Allowed||Max. Marks|
|Paper-I||General Ability Test (English, General Knowledge and Psychological Test)
|Paper-II||Physical Sciences (Physics and Chemistry)
Note: Question Papers will be approximately of the Intermediate standard. The papers in all the subjects will consist of Objective (multiple choice answers) Type questions only. The Question Papers (Test Booklets) will be set in English only.
Paper - I: English, General Knowledge, Psychological Test
Paper - II: Physics, Chemistry
Paper - III: Mathematics
Notification: February / March
Examination: July / August
Candidates must apply in the Common application form devised by the Commission for its examinations, which can be purchased from the designated Head post Offices/Post Offices specified in the Commissions Notice. In case of any difficulty in Application Forms from the designated HPOs/POs, the candidates should immediately contact the concerned post Master or UPSC's "FORMS SUPPLY MONITORING CELL" over Telephone No. 011-23389366 / FAX No. 011-23387310.
Under Secretary (CSP)
Union Public Service Commission,
Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road,
New Delhi - 110 011.